Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Today

I'm feeling an urge to jot down what we did today. Maybe to remind myself of how much we can do each day, even if between tantrums.

We woke late, l was asleep in Alice's bed. She wanted me close and after going back and forth from her room to mine three times between 2 and 4AM, I climbed in beside her. I awoke to find Max watching cartoons and Shawn sound asleep. We rushed off into our morning. Shawn to work and me running the kids up to their drop off playgroup. I jaunted to work, logging a few hours. I zipped into the grocery grabbing some special items for the kids lunches, picked them up and whisked Max to school. Alice and I made another store stop on the way home where she drove around a little car grocery cart. Home for some snuggles and reading. Again she refused a nap. Reading to herself for over a half hour. We then snuggled and watched her favorite backyardigans episodes about pirates. I tidied up the house and enjoyed the quiet. Max blew through the door at four with his friends and their mom who dropped him off. A whirlwind visit, and when the friends departed Max went stir crazy. We were off again. Our neighbor telling us on the way out of the beautiful sunset imminent over the Olympics. We scooted over to our beautiful Fremont Peak Park and played hide and seek, admiring the lovely yellow and pink hues above the mountains. A quick trip to the Ballard Library the kids picking out one book each. A few minutes of content reading and then over to the pool to meet Shawn. Max and I snuggled and read as we watched Alice and Shawn swim and have fun. And then home. Max loopy with tiredness. Shawn patiently entertaining them while I cranked out a fast and simple dinner. More playing with their dad. Books, cuddles, and to bed.

It was a good day. The mundaneness of it was welcome. I feel the heat coming out of the baseboard, making the living room cozy and I am thankful and happy.

No comments: