I'm looking out the window at the moon, it looks pretty full and bright tonight. It's been an interesting couple of months since I was laid off in February. It hasn't been the easiest time for me, losing my job and turning 40. I had been feeling pretty good, thinking I could try and step up as the breadwinner for awhile. But, it's turned out ok. After a very stressful four weeks, Shawn landed a job as a technical writer with our longtime friends company downtown. Such a windfall, this job with a good salary and great benefits. We're starting to catch up, slowly, after the last 16 months of uncertainty and financial instability. It all took a toll and for a few weeks I was fruitlessly applying for bookkeeping jobs and not getting much response. Then, I had an idea that I'd tossed around in the past. Enroll in an online course to earn a certificate as a licensed tax preparer. I'm slogging through it while the kids are in school, only about 20% complete so far, but I'm learning a lot. My hope is that will give me a much broader understanding of tax law and help me set up and maintain clients books more effectively. I'm hoping to obtain a few independent clients. No more thankless office admin jobs with rigid hours. The kids do better when one of us is home after school.
We've had some wonderful things happen this year too. Max is blossoming at his montessori school and just completed 3 days at outdoor camp! Alice lotteried into the coveted Creative Science school and will begin kindergarten there this fall. Shawn's new job is going well.
We have some fun things coming up, too. Max is turning 8 in three weeks! We have a laser tag birthday party planned. Alice is really loving theatre classes and has really found her groove with performing. It is such a joy to watch her. Max recently started fencing classes at our local community center and is finding it interesting.
I've got a small garden going. Bush peas, carrots, some volunteer lettuce, sunflowers, blueberries, a few strawberry plants, and some cantaloupe that just might make it. This afternoon we had some nice family time outside. Max mowed the lawn (push mower), Alice painted on an easel, and Shawn and I pulled some weeds and drank iced coffee. It was nice to just hang out in our yard and enjoy the weather.
Max and I recently finished reading the "Indian in the Cupboard" series and now I'm reading him the first of the Little House on the Prairie books. He's more interested than I thought he would be. I really enjoy reading a chapter to him each night at bedtime.
Sunday, May 3, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment