Saturday, February 7, 2009

Daily Life

I haven't posted in awhile. I've been wrapped up in daily life. I caught Max's flu and was down for several days. It was a really, really bad stomach flu. It really set Max back too, his stomach wasn't back to normal for a week and he really regressed and is wanting to nurse all the time. I've decided I've had enough of sitting, holding him, letting him nurse for an hour or more at bedtime, and then again around 3AM. No more nursing at bedtime or during the night. Period. So, Shawn put him to sleep for the first time last night. Max cried and carried on for an hour and a half. I was expecting worse, and I was so relieved, and proud of him and Shawn when he went to sleep and stayed asleep for a whole 8 hours. Go, Shawn! Today, Max has wanted to nurse a lot, when he's been tired or hungry. A long outing at the zoo with him being too excited to eat his snacks resulted in a meltdown when he got home and I caved and nursed him, he was so hungry he was refusing all other food. Sometimes, it's the only way to get him to eat some real food, letting him have his Mamma comfort first. Really though, I know I'm getting close to wanting to wean him all together. I know some people think I've already nursed him too long as he's closing in on the 2 year mark. It's so different for every child. For now we're starting with this new night time routine. Shawn's in with him now, reading him books, and I'm hoping the crying doesn't go on for as long tonight (I'm sure my poor neighbors are hoping the same). Shawn's mom and sister are visiting us this weekend and Rose was saying that weaning won't be effective until I make up my mind that we're weaning. So, I've really made up my mind about this night time stuff. We're on the wagon and not falling off. Shawn's going to Portland next weekend so I'm hoping it gets easier this week so when I'm trying to enforce it on my own while he's gone I won't go too nuts.

Today was fun. We had a good morning outing to Lighthouse for coffee and Max's now favorite mango juice, and Rose and Chandra arrived. We hung out and played with Max, he napped for an hour and we enjoyed a nice lunch together and then Rose and Shawn took Max to the zoo for some toucans and merry go round fun while Chandra and I shopped. I picked up a lovely casual dress and some goodies at the Mediterranean food store. Mmmmm olives...

1 comment:

Rainy Day Gardener said...

It's good to hear from you and I wish you the best with weaning.