Sunday, June 19, 2011

Little Alice and Fathers Day

Little Alice got sick last night, and threw up for hours. She went through 5 sleepers and a pair of pajamas. The morning she had a lowgrade fever. By mid morning it was high enough for Tylenol. She took a 3 hour nap and this afternoon she was not very energetic during a short outing to the playground. I was holding her on the couch around 5pm and she just sacked out in my arms. I've got her in her crib now, and hoping she'll sleep for a good 12 hours and get to feeling better. Shawn and Max just left for a special Father's Day dinner over at Alicia and Loren's. I'm bummed we couldn't join them. But even more bummed that Alice isn't awake for dinner. I was looking forward to having a quiet little dinner with her tonight, just the two of us. I've got a burrito in the oven and when she is well she loves to pull off pieces of the flour tortilla. I had planned on making her some quinoa, too.
So sad when she doesn't have the energy to read or play.

On another note, it's Fathers Day. I even remembered to call my Dad and say hi. Shawn was able to take himself out to brunch and some meandering around Ballard today, he got a good 4 hours out to do his own thing. While Alice napped Max and I played little board and card games, it was fun.

I wanted to jot down some of my memories of Shawn as a father:

He cut both of the kids cords when they were born.

He held both of them as newborns for hours, cuddling and soothing them.

He took Max to his first movie theatre movie, Rio.

He takes Alice on little walks around the block where she can go at her own pace and stop to examine every flower petal.

He plays with the kids every single night, from the minute he walks in the door, so that I can prepare dinner in peace.
He plays with them after dinner, too. They get a solid 2.5 hours with him every night before bed.

And at bedtime he lovingly reads them stories every night. And then after the lights are out he tells Max special stories loosely based on Jack and the Beanstalk and stories from his own childhood.

One of my favorite things Shawn does is when he arrives at BF Day, our closest neighborhood playground, he runs across the soccer field to the kids with a huge smile on his face and they both always run to greet him. Lately we've been spending a lot of late afternoon hours there and it's really fun when Shawn meets us after work.

We love you, Shawn!

No comments: