Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bumbly Parenting Day

I'm feeling so guilty that I'm unable to nap while Max is napping so I'm up making a pot of coffee. Both Shawn and I are bummed. This morning while out with Shawn, Max fell and scraped up his knuckles. Then, we took him to tour the firestation and see the firetruck up in Greenwood. As he was in Shawn's arms leaning towards me he gouged his forehead on the corner of a metal cabinet on the firetruck. It started bleeding and a fireman took us aside and looked at it for us, assuring us he didn't need medical attention. We cleaned the wound and the fireman gave us a bandaid. Max cheered up pretty quickly, and to soothe ourselves we stopped for burgers at Red Mill. We were delighted that he ate half his burger, and he also wolfed down a little cookie outside of a Mediterranean specialty foods store at the bus stop. I had a big moment of stupidity when we got home, without thinking I ripped off the bandaid on his head, like I'd rip off a bandaid on one of my own wounds. I didn't think of his tender baby skin and the red mark the bandaid would end up leaving. I'm kicking myself for not peeling it off gently with the help of a warm washcloth. I also forgot to change his diaper before puttinghim down for a nap, so he's been in the same diaper since 7AM. I'm feeling pretty down since he still has a scab under his nose from his bike crash last Saturday. I hope neither of these facial wounds scar.

6 comments:

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Ah Sar, you are such a good Mom! We all have those less than perfect parenting days.
Tomorrow will be a better day. Get some sleep.

Sara Jean said...

Poor Max... Bumps and scrapes are no fun. You and Shawn are fabulous parents and so vigilant. Accidents happen and they will heal. No worries.

Mars Girl said...

Oh man... if you get this bent out of shape over these small things, you're going to go crazy when he gets older... Be careful with that! Dont become a worry-wort like my mom! ;)

Though, I guess I cant criticize that much. I feel horrible andd think about it all day when I accidently step on my cat's tail or food, and I didnt even give birth to her.

Mars Girl said...

food = foot. Sorry about that.

Kilburn Family said...

Yeah, I have to be careful not to become a worry wart. His wounds are better. The gouge on his forehead isn't as bad as we thought, now that it's healing up it looks good, and shouldn't scar.
Now he's got a fever and woke up this morning at 5:30 and vomited all over me. Ah, motherhood.

Mars Girl said...

Oh, now that would be really hard to handle as a parent... when a kid's sick, they probably dont understand completely what's going on and I imagine you have this urge to want to fix it even though you know you cant... and he ends up suffering a little while you watch...

Hopefully he'll start feeling better soon!!