Sunday, December 7, 2008

Slowly Recovering

We all got hit hard with colds about a week ago. Max and I are almost recovered and Shawn still has a ways to go. The last 2 colds our family has caught have been vicious and held on with a vengeance. Maybe it's having a toddler, and being around lots of small children, I don't remember ever having colds this intense any other time in my life.

We stayed close to home this weekend, venturing to our local pocket park, Fremont Peak Park, which boasts a beautiful view of the Olympic mountains. Max played there happily for an hour yesterday afternoon while watching volunteers spruce up the park. Today we hung out at an indoor play area at the zoo for an hour where he used the drinking fountain all by himself for the first time.

I'm feeling a little worn out and overwhelmed, I got up with Max at 5:45 today and I've been busy taking care of chores around the building, and helping Shawn wrangle Max this evening while the poor kid screamed for 45 minutes straight. Teething agony, the bottom right 2 year molar is en route. After I got him to sleep tonight it hit me that Christmas is less than 3 weeks away, and we have 2 projects to make for Max, and we haven't begun our shopping for family or friends. And then there are Christmas cards, which I like to send out, but don't know if I'll get to. I can never craft a holiday newsletter that I'm happy with, so I always try to write individual notes in each card, we'll see how many of them make it out in the mail.

I am looking forward to starting my holiday baking, and decorating the house. I am going to put up some mini multi-colored lights this week, and I'll pick up a poinsettia that will be our "tree". We're always short on space for a tree, and I think if we get one this year Max will be in it a lot, so we'll wait to do it until next year. He's so little that he won't remember not having a tree this year. I do think he'll actually get into opening his gifts this year, I'm looking forward that.

Last, but not least, my Grandma had a heart attack a few days ago. She's in the hospital, and responding to medication, but I don't know anything else. I hope she'll be able to come home soon. I love sending her my homemade gingersnaps (full of butter), now I'm thinking I need to send something a little healthier? Or maybe not, she is 85 and should be able to eat what she wants. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Grandma.

3 comments:

Sara Jean said...

Sarah, I'm so sorry about your grandmother. If she's anything like my grandma, she could probably use a little extra padding on those old bones! I hope Shawn recovers soon. No fun that you all caught the bug.

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Sar, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I hope you all get to feeling better. Aaron and I were so often down with the crud when Rusty was a baby/toddler. Now, I think our immune systems are better prepared for all the stuff both Rusty and Scout bring home. Well, one can hope..

Mars Girl said...

I hope your grandmother is okay. I've been thinking about mine a lot lately with the holidays so near...